Kent State University
Kent State University
POST GRADUATE FELLOW (Urban Design)
Position Number 986971
The College of Architecture and Environmental Design’s Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative (CUDC) at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio announces a 12 month one-year position available to recent graduates holding a master’s degree in Architecture, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, or Planning.
This is a full-time position with benefits beginning July 1, 2023 or after.
Job Responsibilities include
- Supporting the Making Our Own Space (MOOS) design/build initiative for middle- and high-school students
- Assisting with CUDC communications, outreach, and social media platforms
- Working on urban design and planning projects for community clients, under the direction of CUDC senior staff
- Assisting with the organization and logistics of the annual community design charrette in the fall of 2023
- Other tasks as assigned by CUDC staff
The Fellow will also develop a project of their choice, to be completed during the fellowship year. Examples of past projects include:
- Presenting design work and research on environmental psychology in urban design at a conference of the Association for Community Design
- Developing climate resilient street sections, expanding upon the City of Cleveland’s Complete and Green Street Guidelines, as part of the CUDC’s neighborhood climate resilience initiative.
- Designing and fabricating a temporary installation at a Cleveland Public Library branch
Other potential fellowship project ideas include:
- Entering a design competition or creating a design competition
- Curating an exhibition for the CUDC gallery
- Presenting work at a conference
- Organizing a lecture, workshop, or other event
The Fellow’s project will be developed with the support of CUDC staff. Up to 10% of the Fellow’s time (four hours per week) will be devoted to their fellowship project and a modest project budget will be included.
The Fellowship position is open to any recent graduate holding a master’s degree in architecture, urban design, landscape architecture or planning. Eligible candidates must have completed a graduate program in one of these fields in 2021, 2022 or 2023.
Successful candidates should have:
- Excellent drafting/sketching and written communication skills
- Experience in basic carpentry and fabrication
- Experience with social media platforms and basic website design and maintenance
- Interest in hands-on teaching and youth engagement
- Flexibility, patience, and adaptability
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of community members
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other digital design applications
- Reliable transportation to various workshop sites in neighborhoods across the Cleveland metro area
To be considered for the Post Graduate Fellowship, please submit:
- Application through the Kent State University website: https://jobslist.kent.edu/en-us/job/499518/term-position-post-grad-fellow
- Letter of intent – in 300 words or less, please describe why you are interested in working at the CUDC and outline your idea for an independent project to be completed during your fellowship year. You do not need to have a fully developed proposal for your project, just an initial idea or a general direction you would like to pursue. CUDC will work with you during the first three months of the fellowship to develop your project idea, secure supplemental funding (if needed), and prepare a timeline for implementing the project within the fellowship year.
The application deadline for full consideration is 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 29, 2023.
Applicants will be evaluated based on:
- Academic performance
- Work experience
- Quality of portfolio
- Clarity of intent
Kent State University, an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a diverse work force. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require assistance, please contact Kent State University’s Employment Office at 330-672-2100 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
$46,000 per year. The Post Graduate Fellow will be a full-time employee of Kent State University, with a benefit package. The position is a 12 month one-year appointment. The position does not include housing, but CUDC staff will offer guidance about finding housing in the Cleveland area, as needed. This is a staff position, which does not include the possibility of tenure.