University of Tennessee-Knoxville
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Director, School of Interior Architecture, Associate Professor/Professor
School of Interior Architecture, College of Architecture and Design, University of Tennessee Knoxville
Full-time tenure track position; salary commensurate with experience; excellent beneﬁts.
Start date: August 1, 2020
The University of Tennessee Knoxville College of Architecture and Design seeks letters of interest for the position of Associate Professor/ Professor and Director of the School of Interior Architecture. The director will lead the School in creative and meaningful ways along with key stakeholders who will develop a strategic plan that advances the culture, stature, and outreach of our School’s design community. As a collective, the faculty seeks to advance the discipline by situating spatially-driven interior architecture, maker culture, and theories of interiority at the forefront of our teaching and research. Overall, the College’s larger values underpin these diverse approaches to interior architectural education, including cross-disciplinary collaboration, diverse perspectives, digital fabrication, and community engagement.
The School offers a Bachelor of Science in Interior Architecture within a highly competitive professional program consisting of four cohort years with approximately 30-40 students and regularly attracting over 300 first-year applicants from across the United States, bringing a constellation of varied outlooks. The School is located in the College of Architecture and Design alongside the Schools of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Design. We also share a building with the School of Art. As such, the position offers rich opportunities for cross-disciplinary partnerships and collegiality, like the 4 + 2 program and interdisciplinary studios. Recent national and international student and faculty awards distinguish the School, including Highly Commended in the 2017 Global Undergraduate Awards, and four consecutive years of students placing first and second in the national Gensler Brinkmann Scholarship competition. The program was reaccredited by the Council of Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) in spring of 2018. DesignIntelligence 2018 ranked the school 11th “Most hired from” among comparable universities.
The successful candidate will join colleagues in the Interior Architecture program to become part of a progressive design education environment. The curriculum is uniquely created to encourage cross-disciplinary studies and collaborations within the university as well as the community and to prepare students for a professional practice.
Director of the School of Interior Architecture Job duties and Responsibilities:
The School of Interior Architecture is seeking a full-time faculty member to teach at all levels in the undergraduate BSIA program and serve as the School’s director effective August 1, 2020. The position is 60% administration, 30% teaching, and 10% service. The candidate will also guide the development of undergraduate minors and a future graduate curriculum. The successful candidate will develop/expand a nationally recognized scholarly program and engage peer-reviewed scholarship or creative activity.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Through their work and scholarship, an ability to advance the college’s reputation, nationally and internationally;
- An awareness of the University of Tennessee’s expectations for tenure and promotion and have qualifications that predict success in this process;
- A willingness and demonstrated ability to actively engage multi-disciplinary collaboration;
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and manage projects with external collaborators such as sponsored studios and research initiatives;
- A passion for teaching and support of the students’ educational experience;
- A willingness to participate in student recruiting activities of the program;
- A spirit of entrepreneurial initiative in pursuing a range of external partnerships, including traditional grant funding, industry partnerships, and funded studios;
- Have demonstrated collegiality.
- Master’s Degree.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in interior architecture or interior design or related discipline.
- Professional experience in design practice.
- Record of supervisory experience.
- Record of mentoring in practice or academia.
- The ability to instruct undergraduate interior architecture studios.
- The ability to integrate digital and analog skills in the design studio and classroom.
- Teaching and/or practice experience with an emphasis on interior architecture.
- Capable of achieving tenure in the College of Architecture and Design at the University of Tennessee.
- Innovative and creative leader who demonstrates a commitment to the values of cultural and ethnic diversity and the ability to build inclusive and respectful communities.
- Degree in interior design or interior architecture.
- Evidence as an effective instructor.
- Degrees in multiple disciplines.
- Studio based master’s degree.
- Administrative and fundraising experience.
- Disciplinary connectivity.
- NCIDQ Certification.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on November 8, 2019 and will continue reviewing applications until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials in the form of a single PDF.
- Cover letter of intent
- Current curriculum vitae
- Three references
Additional materials will be requested of finalists.
Please submit electronic materials to:
For more information on the position please contact:
Lane Morris, Search Committee Chair
For more information on the College of Architecture + Design see: archdesign.utk.edu
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org