SUBTROPICAL CITIES 2013
October 17-19, 2013, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Host School: Florida Atlantic University
Co-chairs: Anthony Abbate, Florida Atlantic University; Francis Lyn, Florida Atlantic University; Rosemary Kennedy, Queensland University of Technology
CALL FOR DESIGN+RESEARCH PROJECTS/POSTERS - DEADLINE EXTENDED April 22, 2013
Conference Co-Chairs for the ACSA 2013 Fall Conference seek project/poster submissions that explore the themes listed below. In an effort to broaden the dialogue between the profession and the academy, professional design + research projects relating to the themes are encouraged.
A jury of educators, scholars and practitioners will curate the most provocative project proposals into themes and lead a panel discussion during the conference.
- New design theories to address the complex interdependence of human and natural systems
- Antipodal and latitudinal histories (colonial, geo-political, cultural influences in the subtropics) that may influence adaptability and resilience
- Speculations on architectural and urban production in a warmer, wetter, and more violent future
- Cultural and place identities (local-global knowledge)
- Rethinking resources and materials
- Threat or opportunity: Speculations on the positive effects of climate disruption.
- Techniques for meaningful engagement throughout the design process and implementation
- Design case studies (paradigm shifts, alternative futures)
- Case study assessments and evaluations of built works for resiliency
- Disaster mitigation and post disaster lessons
- Current trends in technology
- New practice paradigms
- Micro-scale to macro-scale approaches to urban resiliency
- Design alternatives to defensive regulatory, financial or risk regimes (which are devised during re-construction, generally without reference to the design professions).
- Leading edge pedagogy, the future of design
- Design ethics for an age of adaptation, resilience, re-invention, and reorganization
- Technology in service of ecological sustainment
- Collaborative design process (engaging multiple disciplines)
- New design tools for addressing complex problems.
Submission Requirements – Call for Design + Research Projects
The project submission site will be open in February 2013. Authors will submit a 500-word abstract and a PDF or JPEG of the project formatted 20” x 30” with portrait orientation. Abstracts and posters need to be formatted for blind peer review - no names or affiliations should appear on any part of the submission.
Accepted project authors will have a 20” x 30” (portrait orientation) space on a tack board on which to display materials. Authors must stand at their posters during presentation session to discuss them with other participants and attendees.
All authors submitting projects or papers must be faculty, students, or staff at ACSA member schools, or become supporting ACSA members at the time of submission. It is ACSA policy that authors must pay full conference registration for the 2013 ACSA Fall Conference in order to be included in the conference presentation and Proceedings.
The deadline for submitting an abstract to the Fall Conference is April 22, 2013 (EXTENDED). Authors will submit through the ACSA online interface. When submitting your project, you will be guided with the Web interface, through the following steps.
- Log in with your ACSA username and password.
- Select the Session Topic for your submission.
- Enter the title of your abstract.
- Enter (copy/paste) your abstract.
- Add additional authors for your paper, if any.
* Omit all author names from the abstract and any other identifying information to maintain an anonymous review process.
- Upload your project/poster.
- Click Submit to finalize your submission. Note: Your project is not submitted unless you click the Submit button and receive an automatic email confirmation.
February 2013—Submission site opens
April 22, 2013—Submission deadline EXTENDED
June 2013—Accept/reject notifications sent to authors with reviewer comments.
Accepted Paper Abstract authors will be required to revise/prepare full-papers for publication in the conference Proceedings.
August 2013—Final revised papers and copyright forms due
October 17-19, 2013—Subtropical Cities Conference in Fort Lauderdale, FL
For questions please contact:
Eric Wayne Ellis Angela DeGeorge
Director of Operations and Programs Programs Coordinator