An intention of all ACSA competitions is to make students aware that research is a fundamental element of any design solution. Students are encouraged to research the various measures of sustainability as well as precedent projects from professional practice. These tools and resources will get you started, however you may use whatever tools and resources are available to you.
REFERENCES & TOOLS
- AIA COTE Top Ten for Students: Curriculum Addendum (see document)
- AIA COTE website:https://network.aia.org/ committeeontheenvironment/home
- AIA COTE Top Ten for Professionals Projects:https://www.aia.org/awards/7301-aia-cote-top-ten-awards
- Architecture 2030: 2030 Palette, The Zero Tool:Architecture2030.org
- Athena Impact Estimator for Buildings: https://calculatelca.com/software/impact-estimator/
- Climate Consultant: http://www.energy- design-tools.aud.ucla.edu/climate- consultant/request-climate-consultant.php
- The Construction Carbon Calculator: http:// buildcarbonneutral.org/
- DeKay, Mark and G.Z. Brown. Sun, wind & light: architectural design strategies. 3rd ed. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2014.Print.
- Hawken, Paul, Amory B. Lovins, and L. Hunter Lovins. “Tunneling Through the Cost Barrier.” Natural capitalism: creating thenext industrial revolution. Snowmas CO: Rocky Mountain Institute, 2008. Available at: http:// www.natcap.org/images/other/ NCchapter6. pdf
- Kwok, Alison, and Walter Grondzik. The Green Studio Handbook, 3rd ed. Routledge, 2018. Print.
- La Roche, Pablo. Carbon Neutral Architectural Design. CRC Press, 2011. Print.
- Muller, Brook. Ecology and theArchitectural Imagination. Routledge, 2014.Print.
- PVWatts Calculator: http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/
- Wells, Malcolm. “ARegeneration-Based Checklist for Design and Construction,” Society of Building Science Educators, 2009.http://www.sbse.org/resources/
- The Zero Tool is used to compare a building’s design or an existing building’s energy use intensity (EUI) with similar building types, understand how a building achieved its EUI (via energy efficiency, on-site renewable energy, and/or green power purchases), and set EUI targets: https://zerotool.org/