University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma
Director of the Division of Architecture, University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus
The Christopher C. Gibbs College of Architecture (GCA) at the University of Oklahoma seeks applicants for a full-time Director for the Division of Architecture, starting July 1st, 2024. Home of the American School of Architecture, and grounded in rigorous research, creative practice, and community engagement – the Division educates future generations of architects, designers and leaders who embrace resourcefulness and experimentation with a keen sense of social purpose. We seek an individual whose own research and design agenda matches our legacy of innovation; and whose personal qualities as a leader can continue to inspire our vision and steward the division to the forefront of design research and education.
The Director of the Division of Architecture shall be an accomplished leader with demonstrated achievements in design practice, research, or scholarship. In an environment of respect and collegiality, the selected candidate shall promote excellence in research and creative efforts, teaching, and service.
Expertise in all areas of design education is not expected but the director must be prepared to equitably lead our diverse community. The new director must be an effective communicator and strategic planner, and a strong advocate for the division’s students, faculty, and staff. The successful candidate shall have credentials that merit tenure at the University of Oklahoma and will be appointed at the rank of associate or full professor.
The Director of the Division of Architecture Program is supported by the College’s Dean, Associate Dean, Director of Research and Strategic Planning, Graduate Programs Council, Student Advisors, Director of Communications, and Director of Advancement, as well as the Program’s Associate Directors, administrative assistant, and faculty committees.
- Lead the implementation of the Division of Architecture’s recently approved Strategic Plan, in coordination with the GCA and University wide strategic plans.
- Build upon our NAAB-accredited programs, while considering evolving approaches to architectural pedagogy, consistent with our program goals, accreditation guidelines, and profession’s needs.
- Promote and support faculty to pursue rigorous research, creative activity, and/or community engagement agenda, including collaborating across disciplines.
- Promote mentored research or practice opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students in our master’s and PhD programs.
- Foster University and community-based service.
- Contribute to and lead interdisciplinary collaboration efforts with the GCA’s other divisions and across campus.
- Coordinate closely with the Deans regarding program resourcing and success metrics, student enrollment, and faculty development.
- Work closely with the Dean and College’s Director of Advancement to help meet the fund-raising and endowment goals.
- Teach one course per semester.
- Maintain a research or creative agenda.
- Credentials enabling appointment as a tenured Professor with the college, including a master’s degree or a PhD in Architecture of related field.
- Advanced Associate Professors with an exemplary record of achievement in academic research, teaching, and service who demonstrate a trajectory toward promotion to Professor will be specially considered.
About the University of Oklahoma
Mission of the University of Oklahoma
The Mission of the University of Oklahoma is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to the state and society.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving an equitable, diverse, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person’s unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
The salary will be commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit a CV and a letter of interest describing their qualifications, leadership approach, and vision for the Division of Architecture. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. Application review will begin October 20 and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Click here to apply at interfolio.
Contact Person and Application Review Date
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on October 20, 2023.
Inquiries should be directed to the search committee chair:
Andrés Cavieres, PhD
Director PV Integration Lab