Arizona State University
Arizona State University
Assistant Professor – The Design School
The Architecture Program in The Design School at the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University invites applications for a full-time tenure-eligible appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning fall 2023.
The candidate should show potential to transform the discourse around construction and structures as related to architecture, be able to teach lecture courses and seminars, and teach or participate in studios. We are particularly interested in someone who can teach construction so that students have an understanding of construction and are interested in innovation. We would like to improve the way we teach so that students develop a deep intuition for structures without arduous mathematics — using software to understand the technical issues in their design work. The successful candidate is also expected to develop a research agenda consistent with a tenure-track position and to engage in service. Collaboration with other programs, including the School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment is desired.
- A degree in architecture and a terminal degree in engineering, building science, or architecture;
- Experience in teaching courses about structures and construction;
- Ability to teach architectural design studios;
- Potential to develop and sustain a research agenda consistent with expectations for a tenure-track position; and
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in creative activity and research, teaching and service.
- Commitment to exploring the future of architecture, innovative structures and construction technology, digital fabrication and robotics;
- A PhD in building science or engineering or related field;
- Professional registration in engineering or architecture; and
- Ability to contribute to the charter and mission of ASU.
Instructions to Apply:
Please submit the following information:
- Letter of interest outlining qualifications for the position, research interests, and teaching experience;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Portfolio that includes examples of student and professional work;
- Contact information for three references including name, e-mail address, and telephone number; and
- Statement about diversity, equity and inclusion as it relates to your teaching and research endeavors.
Please direct all inquiries to Michael Underhill, Search Committee Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications must be submitted electronically via Interfolio: apply.interfolio.com/115802