Assistant Professor, Architecture
Samford University’s School of the Arts, Department of Architecture & Interior Design invites individuals interested in serving in a Christian university environment to apply for the Assistant Professor position, beginning Fall 2024. This tenure-track full-time faculty position is a 9-month appointment.
- teaching undergraduate and graduate level studio and lecture courses;
- working with the department chair and faculty team to earn and maintain NAAB accreditation status;
- productively engaging in research and/or creative scholarship with output in publications and/or exhibitions of work;
- collaboration with department faculty and students in cross-listed courses, studios, and projects;
- participating in curriculum development, accreditation, and marketing of programs;
- providing service to the department, college, and university;
- and active involvement with industry and/or relevant professional associations/organizations.
Qualified candidates will be graduates of an accredited institution, with at least one degree in architecture and possess a master’s degree with specialization in architecture or a related field.
Other required qualifications include:
- active license to practice architecture;
- professional practice experience;
- experience with and competency in relevant industry-standard software (e.g. Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe products);
- a record of excellence in teaching and architectural curriculum development;
- a record of scholarly/creative accomplishments appropriate to the discipline;
- LEED AP, WELL AP, or other relevant certification(s);
- previous teaching experience in higher education to include graduate-level
Preference may be given to candidates with significant professional experience in the field of architecture and interior design. Salary is dependent upon academic qualifications, professional experience, and previous academic teaching experiences.
About Samford University
Samford University (www.samford.edu ) is a leading nationally ranked Christian University. Founded in 1841, Samford is the 87th oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. It is the largest privately supported and fully accredited institution for higher learning in Alabama. Located in the Birmingham, Alabama, suburb of Homewood, with 425 full-time faculty and more than 5,700 students representing 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and 22 countries. The University is dedicated to the promotion of rigorous academic inquiry in a Christian setting. The University seeks and prefers employee applicants of the Christian faith and offers competitive salaries with a generous benefits package. Samford University and the School of the Arts embrace diversity in their faculty, students, and staff and encourage applications from those who would add to the diversity of our academic community.
About the School of the Arts
The School of the Arts is a community of creative professionals working together in music, theatre and dance, visual arts, graphic design, gaming and animation, architecture, and interior design. The Department of Architecture & Interior Design seeks to promote an atmosphere of interdisciplinary collaboration. First year students complete a core curriculum in the arts. Students in years 2-4 study in an interdisciplinary environment that embodies the spirit of integrated design practice. The department is currently comprised of five full-time faculty members and offers a BFA in Interior Design and an accelerated 5-year Master of Architecture degree. The BFA in Interior Design degree program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, and the Master of Architecture, whose initial cohort was accepted Fall 2021, is in candidacy for NAAB accreditation. For more information, see the department web page:
Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2023, with review beginning December 1, 2023. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early. The candidate must pass a successful background check and applicants must be authorized to work in the United Sates, as Samford will not sponsor any employment visas for this position. To apply, submit one PDF file comprised of:
- a letter of interest;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a statement of teaching philosophy;
- a description of research interest;
- an application for faculty position (see below);
- the faculty applicant Christian mission statement (see below);
- and a list of three professional references with contact information.
In addition, the candidate should submit a link to an electronic portfolio or attach a PDF including a maximum of 20 images of both professional and/or student work examples.
“Application for Faculty Position” can be found at:
“Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement” can be found at:
Please submit all materials via e-mail in PDF format to:
Subject: Architecture Faculty
For questions about the position contact:
Ryan Misner, Committee Chair
Except as specifically exempted by federal law requirements, Samford University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability or age in the administration or application of its educational programs and policies, admissions policies, employment policies, scholarship and loan programs. Consistent with its Christian mission and organizations, Samford is exempt from the religious provisions of Title VII pursuant to 42 U.S.C. Sections 2000e-1(a) and 2000e-2(e).