Entrants are encouraged to research references that are related to both the topic of the competition and precedent projects that demonstrate innovative use of timber such as those listed below. An intention of all ACSA competitions is to make students aware that research is a fundamental element of any design solution.
RED HOOK HISTORY
RED HOOK COMMUNITY
- Red Hook Initiative – Community Center in Red Hook Neighborhood
Red Hook Initiative. Red Hook Initiative, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.rhicenter.org/
- A Brooklyn organization focused on fostering successful Brooklyn businesses:
Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Development Corporation. Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Development Corporation, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.sbidc.org/
HIGH RESOLUTION SITE PHOTOS - DOWNLOAD ALL
NEW YORK CITY
GENERAL INFORMATION COMMUNITY INITIATIVE PROGRAM EXAMPLES
- Added Value: A non profit focused on getting kids involved with urban farming:
Added Value, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.added-value.org/
- Brooklyn Greenway Initiative: An organization focused on revitalizing the Brooklyn waterfront.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.brooklyngreenway.org/
- Red Hook Community Justice Center: Court focused on rehabilitating non violent offenders.
“A Community Court Transforms a Neighborhood.” Park Slope Civic Council, 13 July 2012.
- Cora Dance Studio: Dedicated to offering performance arts to families of all income levels.
Cora Dance, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://coradance.org/
- Dance Theatre Etcetera: Dedicated to using performance art as a way to transform communties.
Dance Theatre Etcetera, Inc., n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.dancetheatreetcetera.org/
- Falcon Works: A theatre that promotes community change/growth.
Falconworks Artists Group. Falconworks Artists Group, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.falconworks.com/
- Good Shepard Services: A youth development and family services agency.
Good Shepherd Services. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.goodshepherds.org/
- Kentler Gallery: A Red Hook Gallery and exhibition space.
Kentler International Drawing Space. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.kentlergallery.org/
- Recycle-A-Bicycle: A youth development program centered around biking.
Recycle-A-Bicycle. Http://www.recycleabicycle.org/, n.d. Web. 01 Aug. 2012. http://www.recycleabicycle.org/
- Star Track: A Queens based Velodrome and program that promotes and teaches fitness through bike racing.
“STAR TRACK.” Star Track Youth Cycling & Mentorship Program : NYC Parks. City of New York Parks & Recreation, n.d. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.nycgovparks.org/programs/recreation/star-track
POST SUPERSTORM SANDY
- NYC Evacuation Plan (PDF)
- Guy Nordenson, Catherine Seavitt, Adam Yarinsky, On the Water: Palisade Bay, 2010, Hatje Catnz
- Hurricane, Michael Oppenheimer et al, Rising Currents: Projects for New York’s Waterfront, Museum of Modern Art, 2011
- Google Sandy Crisis Map <http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy>