Students are encouraged to research references that are related to both the topic of the competition and precedent projects that demonstrate innovative use of structural steel such as those listed below. An intention of all ACSA competitions is to make students aware that research is a fundamental element of any design solution.
STEEL CONSTRUCTION REFERENCES:
- AISC website: www.aisc.org
- Modern Steel Construction: This authoritative monthly magazine is made available free of charge to architectural students taking steel design courses. This magazine covers the use of fabricated structural steel in the variety of structural types. It presents information on the newest and most advanced applications of structural steel in a wide range of structures. Issues of Modern Steel Construction (1996 - Present) are available online. Visit www.modernsteel.com to view them.
- Terri Meyer Boake. Understanding Steel Design: An Architectural Design Manual. (Birkhäuser 2012)
- John Fernandez. Material Architecture. (Spon Press, 2006)
- Victoria Bell and Patrick Rand. Materials for Design. (Princeton Architectural Press, 2006)
- Shulitz, Habermann, Sobek. Steel Construction Manual. (Birkhäuser Basel 2000)
- Annette LeCuyer. Steel and Beyond. (Birkhäuser Basel 2003)
- Architecturally Exposed Structural Steel Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/aess4u