Students in architecture, engineering, construction as well as other related fields are encouraged to participate in a student competition on The Architecture and Engineering of Sustainable Buildings. Team projects including students from different disciplines are very much encouraged.
OPEN CHALLENGE PROGRAM
The student competition calls for open submission designs for any building type larger than 100,000 square feet (9,300 square meters). Topics of interest include achieving sustainability through integrated design, construction and operation of buildings; energy generation, conservation; health issues; climate issues; water and wastewater; waste management; assessing building sustainability; material choice and selection; design vs. operation and ways to achieve net zero-energy buildings. Preference will be given to project with complex requirements, such as building types, climatic characteristics, use of advanced building systems and technologies, and those that demonstrate innovation and design excellence.
Visit the COMPETITION WEBSITE
Download the COMPETITION PROGRAM (PDF)
- Ray Clark, AIA, LEED AP, Principal and Managing Director, Perkins + Will
- Chris Drew, PhD, LCIWM, Director of Sustainably, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill
- Brian Deal, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Susan M. Reynolds, PE, RA, LEED AP, formerly with Robert R. Taylor School of Architecture and Construction Science, Tuskegee University
- Kyoung Sun Moon, AIA, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, Yale University
- Mehdi Jalayerian, PE, LEED AP BD+C, Executive Vice President and Managing Principal – International Operations, Environmental Systems Design
- Ron Klemencic, SE, Principal, Magnusson Klemencic Associates