Students are encouraged to research references that are related to both the topic of the competition, reconnecting mind and body and precedent projects that demonstrate innovative use of structural steel such as those listed below. An intention of all ACSA competitions is to make students aware that research is a fundamental element of any design solution.
Being / Phenomenology / Architecture:
• Gaston Bachelard. The Poetics of Space (Boston, MA: Beacon Press, 1964) (Introduction and chapters 8 and 9)
• Michael Benedikt, For an Architecture of Reality (New York: Lumen Books, 1987)
• Martin Heidegger, Poetry, Language, Thought (New York Harper & Row Publishers, 1971) (Chapter: Building, Dwelling, Thinking)
• Steven Holl, Juhani Pallasmaa, and Alberto Perez-Gomez, Questions of: Phenomenology of Architecture (William K Stout Pub, 2007)
• Juhani Pallasmaa, The Eyes of the Skin (Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2005)
• Peter Zumthor, Thinking Architecture (Basel: Lars Müller, 1998)
Websites that could be of interest:
• The Architecture, Culture and Spirituality Forum http://faculty.arch.utah.edu/acs/
• Center for Contemplative Mind in Society http://www.contemplativemind.org/
• The Society for the Arts, Religion, and Contemporary Culture http://www.sarcc.org/
AISC website. – www.aisc.org – Link under educational tools to case studies and information on steel design.
Modern Steel Construction: This authoritative monthly magazine is made available for free of charge to architectural students taking steel design courses. Fifteen (15) copies of seven (7) issues of Modern Steel Construction are sent to all schools of architecture. This magazine covers the use of fabricated structural steel in the variety of structural types. It presents information on the newest and most advanced applications of structural steel in a wide range of structures.
Issues of Modern Steel Construction (1996 - Present) are available online. Visit – www.modernsteel.com – web site to view them.
• John Fernandez. Material Architecture. (Spon Press, 2006)
• Victoria Bell and Patrick Rand. Materials for Design. (Princeton Architectural Press, 2006)
• Shulitz, Habermann, Sobek. Steel Construction Manual. (Birkhauser)
Steel Competition Program (PDF)