DESIGNING HEALTHY PLACES | Tackling Wicked Problems
2017-2018 Designing Healthy Places Student Competition
Sponsors: National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)
An intention of all ACSA competitions is to make students aware that research is a fundamental element of any design solution. Students are encouraged to research and document this in their design submissions; showing evidence and precedent.
- Blanchard, Janice, ed. Aging in Community, Second Journey Publications, 2013.
- Brown, Valerie, John Harris, and Jacqueline Russell, eds. Tackling Wicked Problems: Through the Transdisciplinary Imagination, Earthscan, 2010.
- Costanza, Robert, Ralph D’Arge, Rudolf De Groot, Stephen Farber, Monica Grasso, Bruce Hannon, Karin Limburg, Shadid Naeem, Robert O’Neill, Jose Paruelo, Robert Gaskin, Paul Sutton, and Marjan Van Den Belt. “The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital”, Nature, 387 (May 15, 1997).
- Dannenberg, Andrew, Howard Frumkin, and Richard Jackson, eds. Making Healthy Places: Designing and Building for Health, Well-being, and Sustainability, Island Press, 2011.
- Dover, Victor and John Massengale. Street Design: The Secret to Great Cities and Towns, Wiley, 2013.
- Duany, Andres and DPZ. Theory and Practice of Agrarian Urbanism, The Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment, 2011.
- Fitzpatrick, Kevin and Mark LaGory. Unhealthy Cities: Poverty, Race, and Place in America, Routledge, 2010.
- Gorgolewski, Mark, et al. Carrot City: Creating Places for Urban Agriculture, The Monacelli Press, 2011.
- ICI Consultants, ed. Sponge City: Water Resource Management, The Images Publishing Group Pty Ltd, 2015.
- Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, “The State of the Nation’s Housing 2015”, http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/jchs.harvard.edu/files/jchs-sonhr-2015-ch6.pdf (accessed Oct 9, 2017).
- Ladner, Peter. The Urban Food Revolution: Changing the Way We Feed Cities, New Society Publishers, 2011.
- Lawrence Frank, Peter Engelke, and Thomas Schmid. Health and Community Design: The Impact of the Built Environment on Physical Activity, Island Press, 2003.
- Lyson, Thomas. Civic Agriculture: Reconnecting Farm, Food, and Community, Tufts University Press, 2004.
- Maak, Niklas. Living Complex: From Zombie City to the New Communal, Hirmer, 2015.
- Metro, Green Streets: Innovative Solutions for Stormwater and Stream Crossings, Metro, 2002.
- Murthy, Vivek. “Work and the Loneliness Epidemic”, Harvard Business Review, https://hbr.org/cover-story/2017/09/work-and-the-loneliness-epidemic (accessed Oct 5, 2017).
- Offer, Avner. The Challenge of Affluence: Self-Control and Well-Being in the United States and Britain since 1950, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Parolek, Daniel. “Missing Middle Housing: Responding to the Demand for Walkable Urban Living”, http://missingmiddlehousing.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Missing-Middle-Housing-Responding-to-the-Demand-for-Walkable-Urban-Living-by-Daniel-Parolek.pdf (accessed Oct 9, 2017).
- Pickett, S.T.A., M.L. Cadenasso, and Brian McGrath. Resilience in Ecology and Urban Design: Linking Theory and Practice for Sustainable Cities, Springer, 2013.
- Protzen, Jean-Pierre and David Harris. “Wicked Problems” in The Universe of Design: Horst Rittel’s Theories of Design and Planning, Routledge, 2010, pp 147-165.
- Rosgen, David. Applied Fluvial Geomorphology, Wildland Hydrology Consultants, 1992.
- Ryan, Brent. Design After Decline: How America Rebuilds Shrinking Cities, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2014.
- Sampson, Robert. Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect, University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Sharkey, Patrick. Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality, University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Steel, Carolyn. Hungry City: How Food Shapes Our Lives, Vintage, 2009.
- Taleb, Nassim Nicholas. Antifragile: Things that Gain from Disorder, Random House, 2012.
- University of Arkansas Community Design Center (a). Houses for Aging Socially: Developing Third Place Ecologies, ORO Editions, 2017.
- University of Arkansas Community Design Center (b), Conway Urban Watershed Framework Plan, ORO Editions, 2017.
- University of Arkansas Community Design Center (c), Low Impact Development: a design manual for urban areas, University of Arkansas Press, 2010.
- Wilkinson, Richard. The Impact of Inequality: How to Make Sick Societies Healthier, The New Press, 2005.