New York Institute of Technology
NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
NYIT offers ninety undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in more than fifty fields of study, including architecture and design; arts and sciences; education; engineering and computing sciences; health professions; management; osteopathic medicine. NYIT now enrolls more than 10,000 students in seven academic schools at its Old Westbury, NY, and Manhattan campuses and at a variety of other domestic and international locations. NYIT’s mission is to provide career-oriented, professional education; to offer access to opportunity to all qualified students; and to support applications-oriented research that benefits the larger world.
SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE AND DESIGN
The mission of the School of Architecture and Design involves to provide a design and technology-based 21st century professional education that fosters leadership in the profession and within the community. NYIT offers six degree paths: B.ARCH, B.S.A.T, B.F.A in Interior Design (including a specialized option towards a M.B.A.), M.S.U.R.D, and A.A.S. Under the new SoAD leadership, an M.ARCH degree has been added and will be expanded with a series of M.S. programs, specializations, and concentrations. This aligns with the three Core Values guiding the mission of the school: Design Intelligence, Building Technology, and Leadership.
The School of Architecture and Design at New York Institute of Technology invites outstanding candidates for the position of non Tenure-Track Teaching Faculty with specialization in building technologies, integrated with architectural design. This position will be based in our Old Westbury campus, but may be required to teach at our Manhattan campus as well. This position requires teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level in architectural design studios as well as courses, seminars and electives in this specialization. Duties will also include curriculum development and coordination, service on committees, participating in program accreditation, student advising, and other related activities. Critical will also be a strong engagement with scholarship supported by external funding, and an active participation in service to the community, the SoAD, and the Institution.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a track record of architectural design combined with technical expertise in building construction, environmental systems, structures and materials. Important will be an evolving design research agenda supported by a professional practice to advance building and environmental technologies.
Areas of emphasis include the integration of building envelopes, materials, systems and performance modeling within design studio and the development of innovative pedagogical models facilitating the pursuit of new knowledge at the NYIT School of Architecture and Design. Applicants should have proficiency in latest tools and methods used to evaluate building performance and systems. Certifications pertaining to sustainability and green building technologies preferred. In addition, it will be desirable to have experience and interest in digital fabrication of building components.
The candidate will be expected to have an active role in the development of cross-disciplinary research projects through internal and external funding opportunities leading to the expansion of collaborations and partnerships with other universities, with the profession and the industry, nationally and internationally, contributing to NYIT’s excellence and to the enhancement of NYIT’s reputation.
- First professional degree in Architecture (B.Arch or M.Arch or international equivalent) plus professional license (license in progress will be accepted)
- Assistant Professor: ability to teach topical courses/seminars/electives in the area of the position description and architectural design studios
- Associate Professor: superior ability to teach topical courses/seminars/electives in the area of the position description and architectural design studios as demonstrated with at least 4 years of relevant teaching experience
- Evidence of specialized research, academic, professional/creative activities and achievementswith a strong and innovative design sensitivity
- Post professional Masters and/or Ph.D
- Emerging professional practices
- Record of interdisciplinary collaborations
- Contributions in externally funded research
- Certifications in sustainability, environmental building technologies.
Applicants should submit the following in digital format (PDF):
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Statement addressing the candidate’s pedagogic approach, research interests and professional accomplishments
- Portfolio of teaching, professional and/or research work (PDF, max 5 MB) (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Name and contact information of three references