Portland State University
Portland State University School of Architecture wishes to hire a full-time tenure-track position at Assistant Professor rank to teach structures, building technology and architectural design studio.
Candidates will be expected to embrace the culture of making at the heart of our pedagogy through creative teaching strategies, critical perspectives and innovative practices. The appointment includes advising and mentoring congruent with creative and engaged instruction, including graduate design thesis.
The school has designed its pedagogy upon a creative engagement with the prevailing realities of the city as a primary means of cultural transformation, and perceives Portland as an urban laboratory for speculations into contemporary social and environmental issues. Taking place through interaction and collaboration with the communities at large, the school promotes theoretical exploration, critical dialogue and interpretive making with diverse media at multiple scales.
PSU School of Architecture offers a NAAB-accredited two-year Master of Architecture degree, a three-year track Master of Architecture, a four-year pre-professional undergraduate degree in architecture, and Graduate Certificates in both Public Interest Design and Urban Design. The candidate must be able to teach effectively across multiple programs and be fully engaged in the innovation of new pedagogic strategies and curricular development.
Candidates will be required to:
- teach lectures/seminars in structures, tectonics and building technology, teach design studio courses, and advise graduate design thesis students
- engage in research and creative activities in response to a developing scholarly agenda
- play an active role in University governance, including service on university and school committees
- engage in community outreach
At minimum candidates must have a Master’s degree in Architecture.
- Candidates should demonstrate tangible instructional experience in teaching situations, including structures, building technology classes, and architectural design studio, with at least 3 years of teaching experience (equivalent to 2 years fulltime teaching)
- Candidates must be able to articulate an existing, continuing research and/or creative agenda that expands the scholarly field of architecture and demonstrate how this will contribute to the enrichment of our school pedagogy.
Compensation is dependent upon qualifications and experience, and will incorporate an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon University System schools.
Alongside required submission materials, applicants should submit a focused folio of no more than 20 pages representing: (a) examples of research and/or creative activities; and (b) examples of student work completed under the direction of the applicant. The application must also include names, with contact information, of three references to be contacted by the search committee. Applications will be reviewed beginning December 10th 2018 and continue until the position is filled. All applications, including portfolio submission, should be submitted electronically through the PSU application system at the link below, referencing job number D91286. All files should be 9MB or less.
Inquiries should be addressed to the Search Committee Chair:
Professor Travis Bell
School of Architecture
Portland State University, PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
503-725-2336, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.