Wentworth Institute of Technology
The Architecture program at Wentworth Institute of Technology is seeking exceptional candidates for the position of Department Chair available in May 2019. Located near the urban center of Boston, Massachusetts, and its concentration of significant and historic architecture, our program stresses the importance of a comprehensive practice-based education grounded in the art of making. One of the nation's largest architecture programs, Wentworth employs 19 full-time faculty (plus adjuncts) and enrolls approximately 500 students in its B.S.Arch. and M.Arch. programs.
The new Chair will provide leadership and lead long-term strategic planning for the architecture program while supervising, supporting and facilitating the work of the faculty. The chair will also represent the architecture program to both internal and external constituencies.
The Department Chair is appointed by the Dean of the College, normally for a five-year term. Candidates should have at least 1-3 years of administrative experience in a leadership role as a Director or Chair at a NAAB accredited architecture program. Given that the Architecture program has a pending 2018 NAAB visit, it is important that candidates have experience with assessment and accreditation reviews.
The incoming Chair will direct the daily operation of the architecture program; as well as supervise and collaborate with the Director of Graduate Programs and work with the faculty members to develop and implement curriculum. This position is available May 2019.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Leading the advancement of architecture pedagogy
• Managing and developing the departmental budget
• Assisting Human Resources to recruit and hire faculty, staff and adjunct faculty
• Assisting Admissions to help recruit students
• Administering and coordinating all full-time faculty annual reviews in consultation with the Dean
• Assisting in various tasks related to graduation, alumni relations, marketing and communication
• Providing an advisor role in resolving student and/or faculty issues
• Teaching 16 credits over two academic years
• Performing other institutional duties as assigned by the Dean
• Participating in research and/or practice
• Overseeing physical facilities
• Overseeing accreditation reviews.
As the program looks to the future, familiarity with alternative delivery modes, including part-time instruction and the Integrated Path to Architecture Licensure (IPAL), would be an asset.
Master’s degree is required. 1-3 years of administrative experience in a leadership role as a Director or Chair at a NAABaccredited architecture program.
Please apply to our online applicant site at https://jobs.wit.edu/postings/3973. Wentworth is an AA/EEO employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.