The School of Art, Architecture, and Design (SoAAD) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic colleague for a position in the Master of Architecture Program as a full-time Assistant/Associate Professor (https://architecture.indiana.edu/academics/index.html) with an area focus in fine art and architectural design and leadership ability/knowledge in digital design and fabrication. The primary location of this position is Columbus, IN, with the secondary location being Bloomington, IN.
SOAAD (https://soaad.indiana.edu/) is dedicated to developing a faculty body composed of diverse scholars and practitioners. We seek a forward-thinking colleague who wishes to be part of an innovative, founding program in architecture and who is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and exploration of the convergence among the disciplines of Architecture, Design, Digital Fabrication and Studio Art. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to educate emerging leaders in architecture.
We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated innovative research in architecture and design and in digital design/fabrication and digital processes and who have demonstrated the capacity to collaborate with colleagues from a broad range of disciplines, have taught diverse populations of students, and have teaching/professional/research experience in two or more design related areas.
We seek candidates who can provide collegial leadership in a team-based environment. We are especially interested in designers with a commitment to preparing graduate students to respond to the complex challenges of community and the built environment through the study and use of digital design/fabrication. A strong candidate will have demonstrated an ability to work successfully with students, faculty, administration and the community.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Faculty position in architectural design studio instruction principally responsible for providing leadership in current and emergent digital technologies related to the design, fabrication and construction of architecture.
- Responsible for curricular development of design education informed by digital processes and fabrication technologies in studio and seminar formats in conjunction with the faculty, the Associate Director and the Director.
- Coordinates all research and development in digital technology/fabrication with the Fabrication/Shop Manager
- Makes recommendations to the Director for improvements and development with respect to IT and digital technology in design including identifying equipment and technology critical for the success of the mission of the program.
- Works with the Fab/Shop Manager to provide equipment lists and to source equipment for the program
- Assists in the development of remote telecommunication between students and faculty with outside collaborators and with the IUB campus.
- Works with the Associate Director in the development of grants and research funds that link digital technologies to the mission and curricula of the program
- Works with the Director and Associate Direct to create linkages between SoAAD faculty and programs in digital construction and fabrication with M.Arch. digital fabrication, faculty and students.
- Works with the Director and the Outreach Coordinator to identify and establish projects and processes that link community and industry leadership with the IU M. Arch program through projects influenced by digital fabrication and design.
- Teaches within the areas of technology and studio design
- Teaches an annual course load of 12 credits in design studio and/or seminar courses during the 10-month academic year; specific courses in the architectural program to be determined based on candidate’s experience and expertise.
- Potential for summer teaching
- Candidate is expected to pursue an active program of design research
- Candidates are expected to develop a scholarly agenda as well as participate in academic, community and professional service
Founded in 1820, Indiana University Bloomington is the flagship campus of IU’s eight campuses statewide. Innovation, creativity, and academic freedom are hallmarks of our world-class contributions in research and the arts.
The School of Art, Architecture + Design houses fourteen different areas in art, design, and merchandising. This is where art, merchandising, architecture, and design merge to shape the future of creativity from imagination to implementation.
All candidates should have
- Expertise in Architectural Design and Digital processes for design and fabrication
- Master’s degree in Architecture
- Demonstrated record of (or potential for) digital design/fabrication research
- Demonstrated record of (or potential for) leadership in digital design/fabrication teaching
Additional Qualifications include
- Professional experience architecture or exhibition and publication record
- Demonstrated record of (or potential for) leadership and mentoring
- Experience in teaching
Salary commensurate with experience
Review of applications will begin on December 1st, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a complete application including the following materials:
- Letter of Application
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research and Teaching
- Evidence of Teaching Ability
- Three references including current address, phone number and email address
- Examples of professional / creative / academic work and/or student work - maximum 10 pages (Submitted under “Other”)
Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit applications to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/4880. Questions regarding the position or application process should be directed to: Megan Tansley, School of Art, Architecture + Design at Indiana University, 127 Fine Arts Building, 1201 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405. Phone: 812-856-7448. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The College of Arts and Sciences is committed to building and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community of students and scholars. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status).