AA Visiting School Los Angeles This summer the USC School of Architecture and Architectural Association will be hosting the 1st ever AA Visiting School Los Angeles, co-directed by Alvin Huang (USC), Kevin Patrick McClellan (UTSA) & coordinated by Danielle Rago. http://losangeles.aaschool.ac.uk/
Registration is open to students and professionals alike, who are interested in participating in a 10 day design charette focused on exploring the legacy of experimental housing in LA through the lens of contemporary design methodologies. Expect to explore computational design strategies, implement digital fabrication processes, work with a global network of like-minded designers, researchers, and educators, and experience the iconic legacy of LA's mid-century modernist homes.
Confirmed design instructors include:
- Marc Fornes, TheVeryMany, Harvard GSD
- Jenny Wu, Oyler Wu Collaborative, Sci-Arc
- Adam Marcus, Variable Projects, CCA
- David Freeland, FreelandBuck, Sci-Arc
- Kevin Patrick McClellan, TexFab, UTSA
- Alvin Huang, Synthesis Design + Architecture, USC
Confirmed guest lectures include:
- Neil Denari, NMDA, UCLA
- Heather Roberge, Murmur, UCLA
- Tom Wiscombe, Principal, Tom Wiscombe Design, Sci-Arc
- June 16-27, 2014 at the USC School of Architecture
- the Visiting School program is a global initiative by the Architectural Association to explore methods of design thinking developed at the AA in various global locations
- an intensive 10 day design charrette bringing 50-60 students/professionals from around the world to LA to explore the applications of parametric modelling and digital fabrication to investigate a contemporary take on the Case Study movement.
- event coincides with LA Design Festival and Dwell on Design
- We will host a public exhbition and panel discussion at Dwell on Design
- we will host tours and visits to various iconic LA residential projects including the Goldstein Villa, Case Study 22, Eames House, and Neutra VDL.