Professor Graham Livesey – Congratulations to Graham who has been promoted to full Professor effective April 1, 2012. Well done Graham!
Professor Loraine Fowlow - The Solar Decathlon 2011 project is a finalist for the 2012 Emerald Awards, in the category of "Education: School or Classroom" category. The Awards will be announced at the Awards ceremony on June 6th. President Cannon has offered her congratulations to the Team on this accomplishment, saying, "The Solar Decathlon Team exemplifies the University of Calgary's Eyes High goals to pursue excellence and to forge strong ties with our community."
Professor Branko Kolarevic
- was an invited speaker and a panelist at the "Vectored Resources" symposium held on March 8, 2012, in Toronto. This event was organized by Columbia University from New York as one in a series of global "think tanks" that are part of the "Columbia Building Intelligence Project" (C-BIP).
- On March 23, Branko delivered the opening presentation (by invitation) at the "Material Intensities" Smart Geometry 2012 conference held at the Rensselear Polytechnic University (RPI) in Troy, NY.
- will give a public lecture at Université Laval École d'architecture in Quebec City on Nov 8 (http://www.arc.ulaval.ca/).
- is speaking at the aceBIM symposium in Edmonton on Nov 28 (http://www.acebim.ca/bim-symposium-2012).
- is one of the keynote speakers at the "Materiality in its Contemporary Forms" conference to be held on Nov 29 & 30 in Lyon, France (http://mc2012.sciencesconf.org/). The conference is organized by École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture (ENSA) de Lyon and École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture (ENSA) de Grenoble.
- He was a Technology Theme Co-Chair for the 2012 ACSA International Conference held in June in Barcelona, where he also presented a co-authored paper and co-chaired three paper sessions.
- Branko also joined the Advisory Committee for the Architectural Technologies Program at SAIT. This fall he will lecture at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design in Norway and Université Laval in Quebec City.
Professor Tang Lee won first prize in the International Urban Design competition for the Foshan Chancheng District European Industrial Park, China. Orianne Berger, an EVDS student, assisted with the competition.
- Tang Lee won first prize in a design competition for an Ecological Master Plan for a senior's development in Mengzi City, Yunnan province, China.
- Five EVDS students, 3 architecture and 2 planning students spend the summer working in China. The students worked on Tang Lee's projects including the design several high rise apartment and commercial buildings, urban designs, town planning, etc.
Dr. Brian Sinclair’s
- Administered the International ARCC King Medal Program for Excellence in Architectural Research (May 2012);
- Received the UC GSA ‘Teaching Excellence Award’ and was nominated for the ‘Supervisory Excellence Award’ (May 2012);
- Paper accepted (co-authored; first author S. Mousazadeh) for presentation in the 9th AHRA Conference in UK (May 2012);
- Submitted invited paper (co-authored; first author S. Mousazadeh) to the Global Built Environment Review (May 2012) | publication pending;
- Served on the Scientific and Paper Review Committee for the ARCC/EAAE International Bi-Annual Architectural Research Conference (Cities in Transformation) in Milano; chaired two sessions under the category ‘Housing and the Shape of the City’; and delivered a peer-reviewed paper (published in proceedings) within the category ‘Architecture and Technical Innovation’ at the conference (June 2012);
- Delivered the invited Keynote Address at the Annual PhD Student Workshop, and moderated & served on the PhD Alumni Panel, at the University of Missouri (June 2012);
- Paper on ‘Agile Architecture’ accepted for publication in ARCC Journal (June 2012);
- Travelled to Yunnan Province in China as an government-invited participant, speaker and advisor (together with Professor Tang Lee) in the Honghe Prefecture Sustainable Urban Planning and Design Forum | delivered an address on Holistic Design & Planning at the congress (July 2012);
- Received a DrHC (Honoris Causa) from the Institute for Systems Research & Cybernetics, at a ceremony held in Germany, in recognition of scholarly work and leadership in the field of Design Education (August 2012);
- Delivered three lectures at the University of Hawaii’s School of Architecture including the opening invited public talk (Agile Architecture: Considering, Conceiving & Constructing Environmental Design for the 21st Century) for the 2012-2013 Academic Year (August 2012);
- Received an EVDS Research Funding Award for work on ‘façade plasticity’ (September 2012);
- Appointed to the Scientific and Paper Review Committee for the ARCC Annual Research Conference to be held in North Carolina in Spring 2013 (September 2012).